2012-04-26

Minimalism - getting over my things

Some of my things...
So, I read "Minimalism - essential essays". Much of it was familiar to me, as a fan of Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus, but some texts were new.

The concepts that really resonate with me are "adding value" and "overwhelm". I often feel overwhelmed by the stuff we have, with the burden of keeping everything ordered and clean and used. And when I try to get rid of stuff I feel overwhelmed by the percieved value of it, something I tend to confuse with the price I once paid for it. Instead, I try to think "is this adding value to my life?" - and actually, just feeling the conflict about something and having to ask the question is usually as clear an answer as I can get: NO. And I try to imagine the value this thing can add to someone else´s life, and how the money recieved from selling it can benefit the work of the Red Cross or the Salvation Army. I try to see it as making a gift for someone rather than getting rid of "junk" or "stuff". This way, I don´t have to stop loving these things in order for me to part from them. I don´t have to alienate myself from them (and in a sense, the "me" that once aquired them).

In other words, I try to shift the focus from me (me me me!) and see my stuff as part of society´s stuff and stop being possessive about it. Adopting a more responsible and generous attitude, I suppose. If I can help, why shouldn´t I? The root of the problem, our neurosis, is in our perception of ownership. That is what we have to work at and transcend if this planet is going to have a chance to remain what we know and love. That´s what I think.

The price for this collection of essays is 2.99 USD, and it´s well worth it for the reading comfort it offers (as opposed to working through their website) if you´re not yet familiar with Millburn & Nicodemus and their ideas, and curious about them. Do be curious about them. It can only make you a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment