2011-03-02

Fucking It

I found these two books in my bookshelf yesterday. I bought them about a year ago, only for the titles really, "Fuck It - The Ultimate Spiritual Way" and "The Way Of Fuck It". They are written by Brit John C Parkin and came out in 2007 and 2009.

The first book is both a parody of all those spiritual self-help books that you find 13 to the dozen out there, and a sincere text about how you could think in order to be more happy in your life. Parkin follows the standard form for these books and starts with a testimonial, a story of his own crisis and the search for healing. He then goes on to "essential Fuck It techniques" and "the effects of saying Fuck It". Happiness, of course. Or, no. Because we should really say fuck it to happiness. And just go on with our lives. And be happy. I know, it´s a bit confusing, because the idea is that you should stop wanting what you want, and then you´ll get it. And if you don´t, well, why should you care? It´s a fail-proof philosophy.

In essence, it´s the old Buddhist core: to disengage from everything that you have been taught is important. Modern life is too full of meaning, according to the author. Less meaning, less stress, more happiness.

The second book is inspirational. Inside, it looks like this:

From "The Way of Fuck It" by John C Parkin

Which is good advice. So is this:

From "The Way of Fuck It" by John C Parkin

And that´s what I´m doing, giving these away. I enjoyed them, but for me, it was hardly news. It could be for someone else. And, fuck it, if you want them, write your adress in a comment (I won´t publish it) and I´ll send them to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment